Friday, June 28, 2013

Diaper Rashes Can Really Bum You Out.

Diaper rashes can be sheer misery for both mama and baby.  If you are anything like me, the creams that you find over the counter for diaper rashes more times than not, moisturize a bit, but really don't seem to soothe and heal all that much.  You have to be a little bit careful using essential oils on a raw little butt, even when they are diluted, so I decided rather than going into lengthy details about how to dilute them so they won't burn, and how to make sure your proportions are correct, I would just share a recipe that I formulated a while back that has had great success.  I had a group of mom's doing test runs for me years ago when I was trying to get the formula just right.  They reported back to me until I finally had one they all said worked!
I used to sell it all the time, but I haven't made it in years.  I've made some different variations of a butt balm or salve since Hudsen has been around, using what essential oils I had on hand, but none seem to work quite as well as this original tried and true butt balm.
If you don't have all the oils, you can just use what you have, it might not work quite as well, but I think you will find even using a few of the healing essential oils in this balm will help heal up those red butts like none other!  Please don't add more essential oils to the mixture unless you are sure they won't burn you baby's bum.  One last thing before the recipe.  If you don't have time to mix up a butt balm, the best single oil to use on a chapped babies butt that I have tried is patchouli.  It smells dirty, but it soothes and heals and does not burn.  Simply mix several drops with a little carrier oil and apply it to the rash.  Sometimes you can even apply it straight, but always start with it diluted and test it first.


Butt Balm Recipe:

1 oz bees wax
1/2 oz sweet almond oil
1 1/2 oz jojoba oil
1/2 oz castor oil
1 oz vitamin e oil
1 oz olive oil
1 oz shea butter'
40 drops rose absolute oil (5% concentrate mixed in carrier oil less drops if using a stronger concentration)
60 drops of patchouli oil
40 drops juniper oil
100 drops of lavender oil
10-20 drops chamomile oil
20 drops of frankincense oil
10 drops of myrrh oil

Instructions:  Melt bees wax and shea butter in a pan over medium-low heat.  Add the oils, heat just until the balm is liquid.  Remove from heat, add the essential oils, stir well, pour into containers.


Variations:  This makes quite a bit, to make a smaller batch you can cut the amounts in half.
 You can also substitute pure olive oil for the sweet almond oil, and the jojoba oil.

For more information on essential oils, and recipes visit my Facebook page at:
https://www.facebook.com/realessentialoileducation

No comments:

Post a Comment