Friday, July 5, 2013

Friday Recipe: Respiratory Blend

Well Friday is the day I share with you one of my recipes, and today it is for my respiratory blend of essential oils.
There are all types of blends out there for respiratory ailments, and today I am going to give you my respiratory blend.  Actually two!  A simplified version that takes less oils, but still can be very effective, and the full version that contains a lot more oils and packs a bigger punch,
Both of these blends are great for colds, flu, hay fever, asthma, bronchitis, or whatever other respiratory ailment might have you all choked up.

To use, mix a few drops of the blend with a little carrier oil, such as olive oil, and rub on chest, back, throat, feet, or your scalp.  Rubbing a few drops into your scalp and then jumping in a hot shower can really help clear out a stuffy head and the steam can help chest congestion as well.  I also put a few drops on the bottom and wall of the shower, let really hot water run over it for a minute, then adjust to a comfortable temperature and then get in with my little son and let the steam clear his head and chest out when he has a cold.   I've done this with him since he was an infant as he was a preemie with lung issues and it really does help him breathe better, and is great to do right before bed time.  You can also add a few drops to a vaporizer, (something else I have done since my son was born whenever he showed the slightest sign of a respiratory infection or just congestion) or add some to a diffuser to disburse into the air and help clear out your head while you sleep, or during the day if you are just feeling extra stuffy!


Respiratory Recipe #1

25 drops Basil
15 drops Lavender
50 drops Eucalyptus
15 drops Peppermint
40 drops Balsam Fir

This is a great simple recipe that can work wonders on a stuffy head.  I even will put a drop or two on a hot cloth and hold it over my face and breathe in the steam to clear my head.


Respiratory Recipe #2
25 drops Basil
20 drops Marjoram
15 drops Lavender
20 drops Lemon
10 drops Ginger
50 drops Eucalyptus
20 drops Frankincense
15 drops Peppermint
5 drops Myrrh20 drops Juniper
10 drops Thyme
20 drops Tea Tree
40 drops Balsam Fir
20 drops Atlas Cedar

This is a great mixture that has so many properties I won't go into them right now.   If you have the oils, I highly suggest making the #2 blend, but if you don't have them all, the #1 blend is great too.

You can keep both blends in a dark glass bottle until you need them so they are handy and ready to go. Think of it as a cough drop, vapor rub, and immune boost all in one!


If you would like to try the #2 blend, but do not wish to mix up your own, I do have them for sale at Harebrained And Happy, and can mail them upon request.  Happy Friday and happy mixing!

For more information on essential oils and skin care recipes visit my Facebook page at:
https://www.facebook.com/realessentialoileducation

1 comment:

  1. thank you! I have been searching for a blend I can make instead of purchase. A friend had been making my blend but with her business I did not know the ratio. Your blend #1 is pretty darn close. My kids get bad yearly upper resp. stuff and usually it takes at least a month to kick. The first blend you have listed, that kicked the stuff in less than a week.

    ReplyDelete